[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Mon Jun 20 12:12:53 UTC 2011

Hi, Julie.

First of all, welcome to the world of guide dogs.
I've been off the list for some time so I don't know if you've written about
your experiences so if you haven't , I'd love to hear what prompted you to
get a guide dog and how it's been.

My name is Dan Weiner, pronounced to rhyme with "miner"--smile--and I've
used guide dogs for 17 years.

All right, here's my answer and it may sound like I'm being a grouch:
Who cares--smile.
This cane and dog controversy has been around for years and years and I
honestly couldn't care less about the answer to those questions.
What works for one person doesn't work for another... I don't judge people
on their O and M skills so much as on what type of person they are, unlike,
it would seem, a lot of my fellow blind people.

If people get a dog, it's obvious that for some reason the cane wasn't doing
it for them.

If they decide to use a cane, then it's clear that they for some reason
don't want or need a dog--lol.

Now, in real life I'm a very nice person, so don't let my answer turn you
off--smile.

Dan and the Carter Dog