[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 20:26:22 UTC 2011

There are also some people who are not as independent with a cane.
Not for lack of trying, or because we're lazy, but because we need a
dog to perform other tasks.  I'm Deafblind with mobility and balance
issues.  If I don't have a dog, I have to have an SSP (Support Service
Provider) who is someone specially trained who work with Deafblind
people.

It simply isn't safe for me to be without a dog in public.  Crossing
roads, finding things like busses and other people would be impossible
without either a dog or human guide.  The same can be said for folks
with other kinds of disabilities.  I really dislike being painted by
some folks as not independent, or as "needing more training" because I
rely so much on my dog.

When I was hearing, and when I could stand up and walk a straight
line, I was a great cane user.  I haven't touched a cane in 13 years
because there isn't a point.

It doesn't really matter what other blind people think of me, but I
find this inflexible attitude of cane equals independent, very
frustrating.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD and Laveau guide dog, CGC.
Do not meddle in the affaires of dragons, for you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup.
http://pawpower4me.blogspot.com
  pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: lillebriss