[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 23:24:15 UTC 2011

Hi all, I would have to say that for myself,I am more independent as a dog
user.I had a service dog for my mobility issues before I began loosing my
sight.I tried to get O and M services when I learned I was loosing my sight
but was denied. I had a private trainer put the finishing touches on my
service dog after teaching her to also guide me.I used my dog for some time
before finally receiving O and M training, which was all of 30 minutes.I
have never been a strong cane user. I have since gotten more training but I
still think I am not a good cane traveler. This being said, if I was not in
a wheelchair, and had gotten good training in the first place,I might be a
lot better at it. I am also deaf in my right ear and while I can hear
sound,I can not tell where it is coming from.The dog is a great help with
this issue. I do use my cane when my friend takes me places in her car. I
have to use a manual chair as my power chair does not fit in a car.I do not
feel it is fair to my dog to make him pull the manual wheelchair and also
guide me. Also , it is extremely hot in Arizona right now. 113 degrees is
too hot to ask a dog to work out in. So I choose to go by car and use the
cane rather than my dog for now. Using a cane from a wheelchair is not as
easy as using it while walking. I do not feel safe using a cane to cross
streets. I feel very safe with my dog when crossing streets. I think it is
convenient to have both skills and for some,the cane is better for them than
a dog.For me and my circumstances, the dog guide is the better way to go.
Have a great day,  MardiandShaman and Nala, retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/