[nagdu] walking your dog

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Jun 28 02:55:42 UTC 2011

Don't worry about messing her up. Well, I mean, be mindful of her training, because it really is possible to untrain them. Witness Chet, my previous guide, who is now thoroughly untrained, but I digress. If you follow what you're taught in school, and by this I don't mean "absolutely, to the letter, with no deviation", you'll be fine. I actually expect you'll do well with your dog, because you *are* bothering to think about these things. But really, relax and enjoy your dog. While it is, as I say, possible to untrain your dog, it is also true that they are very resilient. She will make mistakes. You will make mistakes. You'll make a mistake and your dog will correct you. Usually by doing something like causing you to bang your shins into a cement planter or something when she's right and you insist she's distracted. Yep, been there, done that. She'll make a mistake and you'll correct her. Sometimes you'll both make a mistake at the exact same time. Guess what? It's OK. She'll get over it, and so will you. It's all part of the process. A working error really won't break your dog. Consistently allowing bad behavior will, of course, but regular working mistakes won't, because they're just working mistakes, and we all make 'em. Really, don't be afraid to get out with her and try something. If the trip isn't perfect, so what? Probably better if it isn't, because there's probably some useful thing you'll take away from it. So, yeah, think you're doing fine.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY