[nagdu] moderator notes

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jun 30 22:41:49 UTC 2011

Hey all!

Wow!   There are a ton of messages.  I haven't read through all of them
yet.  I will.  In the meantime I wanted to interject a few things.

first and foremost, some of the messages have had a tone that is
bordering on rude.  I am a very, very, strong advocate of letting people
speak their mind.  However the writer *must* always be polite and keep
the message          on thoughts, ideas, facts or plans.  It is
absolutely not okay to flame an individual or even an organization.  Now
before people go all crazy on me, please disagree to your hearts
content.  Please tell us all the things you don't like about the NFB.
I'm all ears, but where I draw the line is when constructive
critisism turns into just plain whining or worse.

So explain why it is that you don't agree with the policy.  Tell us an
alternative that could work just as well or better to solve the problem
of barking and other problems with guide dogs left unattended in hotel
rooms.  Tell us what you have done to ensure that your dog isn't barking
even when you are not there to know for sure.

I also think it's important for people to know the history behind this
rule.  It hasn't always been a policy of NAGDU and the NFB.  Many years
ago at an NFB convention in a very nice hotel that had given us very
nice room rates, guide dogs came that had fleas and were generally a
huge problem.  This hotel would not host our conventions ever again
after their horrible experience.  It turns out that hotels, just like
all other sectors of commerce, talk amongst each other.  It got around
that guide dogs at convention were a problem.  Other hotels were very
reluctant if not outright opposed to hosting our conventions.  You will
notice that NFB conventions get very, very good room rates.   A hotel
cannot deny a guest with a guide dog access, but when you are talking
about an entire convention you are talking about a very different
thing.  The excellent room rates were in jeopardy.  So NAGDU and the NFB
came up with the plan to self regulate guide dog problems in order that
the hotel would continue to give us the low room rates.  This is why you
are asked to not leave your dog unattended, to clean up accidents or to
get a NFB affiliated person to assist instead of hotel      staff.
These policies were not dreamt up to single out guide dog users or to
make our lives more difficult.  They were drafted after problems
occurred that were affecting the entire organization.  So if there had
been no fleas in the first place or no dogs barking like crazy in hotel
rooms, we would not have these policies and would not be having this
discussion right now.

Thanks for making this list great!
Julie
NAGDU list moderator