[nagdu] Bloat

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 16:31:22 UTC 2011

Tracy,

I'm so sorry about your friend's dog!  Thank you for the reminder about
bloat.

It is good to know the signs of bloat, since it leaves no time to waste in
getting to a vet.  Poodles are prone to bloat, so I live in fear of it and
check Mitzi over regularly, just in case.  If she seems to have a tummy ache
or even to be feeling a bit off, I check her abdomen and femoral pulse
first, just to be sure!

So the signs I know to look for are a hardened, distended abdomen and lack
of femoral pulse on either side.  You can feel the femoral pulse by standing
behind your dog and putting your hands around the thighs so that your
fingertips can feel up into the groin where the pulse is.  No pulse means
blood supply is cut off and you're nearly out of time!  It never hurts to
know what your dog's normal pulse feels like, so you can tell if it's very
weak or thready, especially if there's unusual tension in the abdomen.

So far, so good with my girl, and I plan to keep it that way!  But if the
signs do show up ever, I will know it's time to head to the vet!

Tami Smith-Kinney