[nagdu] metal detectors

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Thu Mar 10 03:39:05 UTC 2011

Julie, I don't know the official guide lines regarding metal detectors and
service dogs. Frankly, given the very missed up state of affairs-- threats
of terrorism, I will comply and go through in what ever fashion I am asked
to do so. At one of the court houses, they tell me to walk my guide dog
through. At the airport, I do what ever I can to use the extended leash.
However, my goal is to go where I need to go with the least amount of
interference. So, I've been directed to set the handle down and walk through
the detector. Yes, I worry about my dog taking off or someone taking off
with my dog. I think I'm in good hands in either case. I suppose it might be
different if this will be an every day occurrence. I'll be interested to see
how things work out for you.

By the way, I am acquainted with a fellow that works for the TSA. According
to him, acts of and threats of terrorism occur much more frequently than is
reported by the media.
Lisa &Bernie