[nagdu] Beyond the Obvious...How Does Your Guide Assist You?

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 18:16:27 UTC 2011

Yup,  I was in the pharmacy yesterday picking up meds for Kiddo and the
cashier asks me where Monty is.  I haven't been in there in months, but she
always remembers Monty's name.  I'm really tempted to ask if she remembers
my name, which she doesn't because I've never told her, but so far I've
remained polite.

I don't mind casual conversations about the dog while I'm standing in line,
riding the elevator or sitting in a waiting room somewhere.  It's idle
conversation that passes the time.  I do get severely annoyed when I'm
trying to conduct some sort of business and the person  keeps getting
distracted by the dog.

I can't think of a single conversation about the dog that has resulted in
some sort of long term business acquaintance or other beneficial
relationship.  Mostly people seem to want their curiosity satisfied and then
we part ways never to meet again.

I'm taking this workshop on body language next month.  I'm very curious to
see how body language might affect approachability.  I wonder if that might
be part of the reason that some guide dog handlers are approached more
often, offered more help or experience more access issues.  I think there
are a lot of factors that figure into the equation, but body language might
be one way we could steer the situation into an agreeable direction.  it
will be interesting.

Julie