[nagdu] Body language

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Fri Mar 11 04:36:37 UTC 2011

Yeah Julie, there's a lot to be said about body language. That's why 70% of
what we discern from conversations comes from our body language. When you've
completed the workshop, I'd really appreciate it if you'd contact me off
line. I really want to know as much as I can about body language.

These are some body language movements I've received feedback on. Looking
down in sighted society is read as lack of self confidence. Looking at the
person; in the direction of their voice and just a tad above, shows
assertiveness, self confidence and interest in what the other person is
saying. Many years ago a secretary ripped into me because I didn't look in
her direction when she spoke to me. She wrongly accused me of being rude.
Blank stares and not much facial expression is perceived as depressed,
stormy and odd. In social situations such as the women's Bible study I
attend, I try to have an inviting smile. I "gaze" around the room. I'm not
sure if it makes a difference. I figure it beats looking like I often feel;
that is, left out, alone is a sea of chatty and friendly folks, a bit
alienated too. My mother harped at me about pulling my shoulders back and
standing straight. I later learned not only did she care about my posture,
she also recognized how odd blind and visually impaired individuals look
when we look at the ground. In my case I used to do that because I was
straining to see. Speaking of straining to see, I had a very fruitful
conversation with a supervisor a few years ago. She was bent because she
thought I arched my eye brows in disapproval. I explained to her that some
visually impaired folks do this because we're straining to see. She found
the explanation helpful. Her feedback has helped me to be cognizant about
not arching my eye brows. She was also quite upset with me because when I
placed my hand on my hip and leaned forward on my foot, she perceived me as
being defiant. Finally, I was involved in the production of an inclusion
video a few years back. The videographer spent more time than any of us
planned coaching me on not whipping my head so fast when I looked toward
some one. I try to slowly; not exaggerated, turn my head to one side. He
gave me feedback on other things I was doing that looked out of place. All
of this has been quite helpful.

When I'm not glaring or scowling I find people are receptive to helping or
interacting with me.

Lisa and Bernie