[nagdu] Inquiry From New List Member

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Mon Mar 28 19:10:49 UTC 2011

Hi Bob,

When I had my previous guide dogs I worked in non tradition work settings; a
mobile recreation program, at playgrounds and at the beach. These
environments were high octane energy most of the time. Therefore I was
matched with high octane dog guides. I had to get creative when it came to
finding a safe place to place my guide dog. When I worked at a stationary
activity (at an arts and crafts table) my dog guide stayed near the table.
When I worked at the beach my dog was placed under a desk in the recreation
center. This wasn't always a conducive situation because maintenance workers
fed my dog or played with him. Yes, there are inconsiderate folks. This time
around I requested a mellow dog -- Bernie is definitely mellow. I no longer
work in an after school environment. When I am re employed I anticipate
doing many of the same things with my dog as others have conveyed to you on
this list.

Bob, I highly suggest you discuss the particulars of your work situation
with the school you will be attending. This information will help them to
match  you with the most appropriate dog.Be aware that you may encounter a
variety of responses to the presence of your dog guide. This will require
educating these folks about the do's and don'ts with your dog. I'm confident
that your school will discuss this topic during lecture time.

Best regards.

Lisa and Bernie