[nagdu] DIY hot spot treatment

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Mar 31 13:27:27 UTC 2011

I recently had to treat a hot spot on Echo, and it seems to have worked,
so I thought I'd share.  I remember people asking about it before.
I discovered a sore on Echo's face a few days ago.  Usually, I'd take a
dog to the vet for treatment, but the old gal gets totally stressed
getting into a car, and even worse at the vet, so I decided to try
treating it myself first.  First, I cut the fur away from the sore as best
I could.  I only have scissors, so this was the hardest part.  I put Echo
on tie-down, so she wouldn't wander off.  Then I had to be careful with my
scissors, so as not to poke her eye, ear, or the sore.  It wasn't anywhere
near as neat as the vet's shaving, but it was good enough to get the fur
out of the way. Then I cleaned the sore with some peroxide on a bit of
paper towel, and put on a dab of Neosporin, same as I would if I had a
cut.  I repeated the cleaning and antibiotic morning and evening for a
couple days, until the sore felt like it was well-scabbed over and was
healing up.
When I had a dog with flea allergies, I always had a tube of Panalog on
hand, but not anymore.  But the Neosporin seemed to work OK.
Of course, if the sore hadn't healed up, I'd have taken the old lady to
the vet. Wish I had some doggie valium or something. But happily my home
nursing did the trick.
Tracy