[nagdu] What service dogs do

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon May 2 17:52:00 UTC 2011

I don't know much about what service dogs do, so I'm interested when I
hear about it.  I've just been listening to a veteran talk about his
golden service dog.  The veteran was injured in Iraaq, and has back
problems, a brain injury, and PTSD.  His dog picks up things for him, even
going into another room to fetch things.  He also helps him on stairs,
because the brain injury makes stairs difficult.  The dog also provides
emotional support for the PTSD.
He has the same kinds of access problems guide dog users do.  He also
talked briefly about how people say that his dog must be a chick magnet,
but in reality a lot of women aren't interested in dating a disabled man.
That seems similar to a discussion we were having a few weeks ago.
Just thought I'd share.
Tracy