[nagdu] Grave problems with Pilot Dogs program

Julie jbrew48 at verizon.net
Tue May 3 18:29:41 UTC 2011

you probably did hear it, but you can train your dog to do what ever you
want them to do.  You have already learned the tools to do it.  GEB isn't
going to stop you.  They know we train them to do things that we need them
to do for us.  At least they know I do!  Some trainers have their own ideas.
I think it is not encouraged fresh out of training because then the dog
thinks it doesn't have to work any more.  They will lose their own
initiative and forget their skills of being a guide.  It wouldn't be a
command that you want to use every day all day long.  I think if the dog
just followed someone all the time, it would become unsafe and useless as a
guide dog.  At that point GEB could help you to determine if the dog could
be retrain or if it is best to retire it.
Julie Phillipson