[nagdu] dog whistles

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu May 12 13:13:37 UTC 2011

Heya all!

Does anyone have any experience using a dog whistle?

I have wanted to teach Monty to come to a whistle for a while now.  I do let him run off leash on some of our farm fields.  I thought a whistle might be more effective in recalling him, than me shouting.  Sometimes the wind is blowing 40 or more mph or there is machinery running, which makes it difficult to hear my voice.

I purchased a dog whistle and have just started in the house to teach Monty to come when he hears it.  So far I use his name plus whistle, he comes then I give a treat.  So far so good.

Here's the thing though.  People can't hear a dog whistle.  I can hear a small sound, just of the air going through the whistle, so I know it's working, but the actual sound the whistle makes I cannot hear.  Does anyone have any idea how loud a dog whistle is to a dog?  How far away is he going to respond to it?  Will it be heard better than my voice when it is really windy?

Any ideas on how I could figure this out?

Thanks!
Julie