[nagdu] Brochure suggestions

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon May 16 18:53:38 UTC 2011

Dear Marion,

Thank you for your excellent work on the guide dog brochure.

And I think the suggestions made in today's postings  have been great.

I wonder if I could submit one more.

RE Section 7: I think the language about leash corrections given when verbal
reprimands fail might be misleading in that observers of a leash correction
given immediately to check misbehavior could conclude that the handler acted
inappropriately.  They might expect progressive discipline, such as that
given employees in the workplace.  To my understanding, immediate and
effective correction of misbehavior followed by immediate and enthusiastic
praise for responsive good behavior is the recommended SOP for guide dog
handlers.  Sometimes a leash correction is the most effective and discreet
intervention.  My understanding, too, is that the standard leash correction
consists of both a tug and release, the release being just as important as
the tug, so that the dog is not choked or dragged where the handler wants to
go (I've learned this from GDB, GDA, and TSE).

So here's my alternative language for Section 7:

Consistent discipline is key to a successful guide dog team. Verbal
admonitions or leash corrections may be given, alone or together at the
instant of  misbehavior, as the handler deems appropriate.  A leash
correction is a firm but quick tightening and release of the dog's collar,
followed by praise for responsive good behavior.   This does not hurt the
dog; it calls its attention back to duty.  Discipline is not punishment or
the venting of the handler's anger; it assures the dog that its handler is
in charge.  It enhances the dog's feelings of security and self-confidence
within the team.  Consistent discipline is kind.

Thanks again for your good work.

Elizabeth