[nagdu] A Sunday to never be forgotten

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Mon May 23 05:30:55 UTC 2011

By now, I am sure that many of you have heard the reports of the severe
weather that struck across the mid-section of the nation this afternoon
including both my hometown and where I live now.  I was actually doing
dishes, had the back screen door open with the screen up, and heard my
weather radio go off announcing a tornado warning for across the Mississippi
River in La Crescent Minnesota.  Less than 5 minutes later, I heard the wind
pick up suddenly, my deck furniture start to move and the eeriest sound of a
freight train I have ever heard.  I called for my guide, Misha as I headed
for my basement stairwell and it hit so fast, and like something I have
never experienced before.  What seemed like hours, only lasted about a
minute in a half at the most, and then it was over.  It rained heavily for
awhile, but then everyone poured out of their homes.  I called for Misha who
would not come at first, leading me to believe that my house was no longer
standing.  Finally, she came to me and was in great shape.  We were both
shaken badly and the path of devastation here in our neighborhood is
absolutely unbelievable.  Almost every tree was down on my street and our
street sustained the heaviest damage here in the City.  My roof was
partially sheered off, and we had significant damage elsewhere as well, but
my home was actually spared.  Others were not so fortunate as their homes
are total losses, and very little was spared in the path.  It was absolutely
unbelievable, and I am just thankful that both Misha and I are safe here at
home tonight.  I love severe weather, and this does not change that a bit,
but my respect has just been bumped to the highest notch.  Now, I hope our
peers in Minneapolis, Joplin, Sparta, and other cities that were in the path
of this destruction are okay.  My thoughts and prayers are with them as with
my neighbors who no longer have homes.

Steve and Misha
20 years ago, an organ donor saved my life, Jan. 29, 1991-Jan. 29, 2011