[nagdu] jogging with my dog

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun May 29 06:51:07 UTC 2011

Hi everyone, I don't jog with my dog,but he does jog with me. Using a
motorized wheelchair,I naturally go faster than some body walking.In
fact,when I am with another guide dog user who is walking,I have to slow
down considerably so I don't leave that person in my dust.My dogs are used
to going my pace . They are trotting when they are guiding me. Nala would
never get tired even when we were out all day and would even speed up when
she knew we were going home.Huskies can run very long distances and not
tire. Even Shaman is used to going at my pace. All my dogs have a good pull
and very seldom slow down unless I slow my pace. Some times when I am on my
street and there is no traffic,I will let them run as fast as they want
to.They really seem to enjoy this.Shaman seems to feel the heat more that
Nala did in the summer.He has longer hair, being a Belgian Shepherd. I
bought him a cooler jacket to help keep him cool . He hasn't slowed much
from the heat now that he has his jacket on.I also use boots on their feet
so their feet do not get burned.My dogs always trot faster when returning
home.Even when they know where I am going they just trot along at my pace
and don't slow until I ask them to.I go to the bank once a month and I
always stop for a Cappuccino Blast after and I get Shaman a small scoop of
vanilla ice cream. He literally will drag me to the Ice cream place and Nala
would also do the same. The Ice cream helps cool down the dogs when it is
very hot out. They love it and they only get it once a month so I give it
too them. They get enough exercise  that they don't get fat.It is the only
treat that they expect. When I go into a restaurant, they go under the table
and don't look for any treats and always behave. It was hard to find a dog
that could guide me at that pace when I was looking for a trainee to take
over when Nala retired. That is why it took me more than a year to find
Shaman. Good jogging,  Mardi and Shaman and Nala,retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/