[nagdu] ideas?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 14:23:40 UTC 2011

Jessica,

Congratulations on the new baby!  That's exciting news!  There's a
NFBnet list for blind parents that is quite active.  I subscribed to it
for quite a few years when my Kiddo was younger.  It was a lot of help
to me.

I could be wrong here, but I don't know of any program that has poodles
and will do home training for a first time handler.  If I'm remembering
correctly you had a dog before.  If that's correct, the best bet would
probably be to see if they would do home training for you.  The only
other thing I can think of would be to request to the places that have
poodles for home training.  sometimes they will do home training for
specific circumstances.  If you've had a guide dog from a different
program sometimes the new program will count you as being a retrain.
There's no way to know what's possible until you contact the various
programs directly and see what they are willing to do.

I've noticed that there seems to be a longer wait both for poodles and
for home training.  I'd imagine that a poodle through home training
would be an even longer wait.  I'd be very interested to hear what you
find out.

On the subject of hiring a private trainer...I've never done it,
although I've thought about it and did look around to see what the
options were.   I never found anyone I was even remotely satisfied
with.  Most dog trainers have no clue what guide dogs actually do and
they have even less knowledge about blindness.  I talked with a few
trainers and their ideas of what a guide should do were interesting.  It
was also going to be very expensive, as in the several thousand dollar
range.  Even if I found a trainer I liked and could afford, I'd still
have to find a suitable dog or raise a puppy.  In the end I didn't see
enough benefit of using a private trainer to go that route.  I do know
of a couple of people who have had their mini horses privately trained.
Marti on this list has a private trainer help her but she mainly does
the training herself.  I'm thinking I've heard of others with guide dogs
who had private trainers, but none are coming to mind at the moment.

I think a private trainer could work if you had a very close
relationship with him/her and a good knowledge of exactly what you
wanted the dog to do.  I'm thinking something where you could work with
the dog and the trainer throughout the process to make sure the training
fit your needs and you were getting what you're paying for.  It'd be
tough to find the right combination of people and circumstances to make
it work well though.  At least that's how I see it.

Good luck!
Julie