[nagdu] a blind consumer's Right toChooserehabtraining(federalregs)

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Nov 11 21:24:03 UTC 2011

In defense of rehabilitation counselors, they are just like us, human.
They may see potential in you that you don't see.  They may be trying to
get you thinking outside of the box, so to speak and may suggest things
you hadn't considered.  Sometimes it's difficult to be encouraging while
still being realistic.  None of us can see into the future to know
exactly what the person on the other side of the desk is capable of.

I used to work in rehabilitation and still do in a different capacity.
I've seen folks with huge dreams, but their daily actions don't fit with
what they are saying they want to do.   I've talked with folks who tell
me they want to work in drug/alcohol prevention.  Yet when I make
suggestions of things they could do now like learning Braille, joining
local prevention organizations, checking out colleges etc. they make
excuses and don't do any of those things.  So is it awful of the
counselor to tell the client the agency can't support them in that goal?

Outside of the professional rehabilitation scene, I've frequently had
email and phone calls from individuals who want to owner train their
guide dog.  Some of them I encourage and some I try to gently suggest
they try a different avenue for getting a guide.  Do I believe blind
people can train their own guide dog?  Absolutely.  It is, however, an
entirely different question to ask can this person I am talking to train
their own guide?  Maybe yes and maybe no, but blindness isn't as big of
a factor as commitment, ambition and resourcefulness are.

And then there are rehab counselors who do not have a very positive view
of what blind people can truly accomplish. *sigh*  That is a whole
different discussion.

anyway I'm just saying to try to understand where the counselor is
coming from because it will help you know how to proceed to get yourself
what you need.

JMHO
Julie