[nagdu] ablind consumer'sRight toChooserehabtraining(federalregs)

rhonda cruz rhondaprincess at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 03:48:25 UTC 2011

hey sheila,
i agreee.
i beleave that we can be able to get jobs.
 smiles.
but people in the blindness feild think other wise.
like any one elce.

rhonda
Users"<nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:39:20 -0700
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] ablind	consumer'sRight
toChooserehabtr
aining(federalr
egs)

>I think many blind people hav had the same thoughts and questions
over the years.  If the unemployment rate was at seventy four
percent across the board in the country there would be a revolt
like nothing seen in a long time.

Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] a blind	consumer'sRight
toChooserehabtr
aining(federalr
egs)

>See that's how it is here in Florida.  The councilor's dictate
instead of
>allowing you to make an informed choice.  Why is their a 74
percent
>unemployment rate among the blind? because all the working aged
blind are
>working in a vending stand because councilor knows best! The NFB
has been
>around for almost 75 or more years, but when you really get down
to it, what
>have the blind really accomplished? Not much of anything.
Jerigan said its a
>cycle The agencies for the blind give bad teaching skills, which
leads to
>wrong misconceptions of the blind person to the general public.
We have
>three blindness training centers, but these are not schools.
Alot of times,
>kids are sent to a blindness school, from the time they're five
years old,
>until they graduate, and then when they get out into the world,
they don't
>know how to adjust.  So, what should we the blind do? Get them
when they're
>young, so that when they graduate from high school, they won't
need to go to
>the NFB center, because they already have the training.  RJ
Users"
><nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 6:47 PM
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] a blind consumer'sRight
>toChooserehabtraining(federalregs)

>> Hey Tami

>> that is what happens in my state.  Once they had a Consumer
Advisory
>> Counsel that said some true, uncomplimentary stuff about the
counselors.
>> The counselors were insulted because the counselors had Masters
degrees
>> and who were these ungrateful consumers.  I read the minutes and
heard the
>> counselors angry comments because I worked for the Agency.

>> Then as a consumer after I was forced out of the agency due to
an office
>> move, I had a whole slew of problems getting what I knew I
needed.  I
>> found out a rehab tech had told the counselor the exact opposite
about
>> what he and I discussed.  I protested and had my case closed in
>> frustration.

>> Instead of learning our rights etc., I would just like to know
the States
>> where rehab professionals really help the most consumers and
work with
>> them as a team instead of dictating what the client needs and
giving
>> anyone who asks for choices etc.  a hard time.

>> When I had my issues, I didn't know of anyone to help me.  Even
if I did,
>> it is an exhausting process and i want to enjoy life and not
spend all my
>> time fighting with people.  If I had things to do over, and had
access to
>> the internet, I would have moved to the State where the rehab
people are
>> known to be more helpful.
>> Brenda

>> On 11/11/2011 6:22 PM, Tami Kinney wrote:
>>> So what do you do, then, when you do your homework before you
make your
>>> first call and know what your needs are and formulate your
requests
>>> according to that in line with what the law and the policies and
>>> procedures are and..And get nowhere.  For years.

>>> What if you keep hearing that this is what happens to virtually
everyone
>>> you talk to.

>>> What if you learn that there is no recorse, that the agency is
not
>>> following the laws or the rules and regs because they don't
actually have
>>> to? Because there is no one to make them?

>>> Then where are you?And where are all your friends and
acquaintances and
>>> what do you tell them when they ask you what do do?

>>> Tami.

Users"

RJ
Users"