[nagdu] going on a bus

marilyn t21114 at optonline.net
Sat Nov 12 13:44:44 UTC 2011

Hi Sean,
you had some experience on the bus. I have gone through that many times. The drivers know the first two front seats are for disabled people. Why ? because there is more room. Back in the 80's when I was commuting to the Helen Keller School to learn computer I had to take a bus in a bad neighborhood to get to the train. A woman got on at a stop and saw me and started to scream about the dog and wanted me thrown off the bus. She said those people shouldn't be allowed on public transportation. The driver told her to step off the bus and wait for another one as he was not throwing me off with my dog. I told the woman those people (meaning me) have more rights to ride the bus than you do. your sighted you can drive a car I can't. I don't have a choice. the driver was very nice and said he liked my come back.
Another time I was meeting a friend at a bus stop and we were going on to the NYC for the day. She was a cane user and I had my dog. On the train a man got on and asked me to sit in a different car because my dog was evil. I had Parker a black lab. He said black dogs are evil. I told him I was not moving and he could go sit in another car. I told him my dog is a blessing from GOD and its dog backwards no matter what color my dog is . the conductor said he had a turban on his head. My friend was nervous and said that is why I won't get a dog. to many problems. I said there are no problems with you stand up for your rights. Its educating the public. We had a wonderful time in the city with no problems.
Marilyn and Anna