[nagdu] New guide dog school

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 19:00:29 UTC 2011

I did not know that people ran poodles in the sled dog races! How cool!
The poodle certainly does have the energy and endurance for running all
day. /lol/ Mitzi's problem with snow comes when her delicate paws break
through a frozen crust, say when the snow melts then refreazes. Or she
is not heavy enough to break the crust and skitters around. However, I
would bet that without the disadvantages of the "clean feet" cut on that
kind of surface, she would find life much easier. She can also use her
semi-retractable clas for traction when she needs it.

As a guide, she's great now at adapting her pull to my comfort level, at
least most of the time. When she was younger and more excitable, I had
plenty of opportunity to learn just how strong a pull she really has! /lol/

Mitzi is a very good worker, smart as I don't know what, intuitive and
attentive to detail. Every detail, everywhere, all at once. /lol/ Once I
realized that all of her seeming inattention did not mean that she
wasn't on the job even before I really started training her for the job,
I relaxed an awful lot. Even now, though, it does seem that to some
observers she is not guiding because for all they can see she has her
head in the clouds and, if she gets a chance, her nose in the bushes.
/lol/ Meanwhile, I'm just kinda trailing along, smiling, like I don't
have a care in the world about how my guide dog is going to do me in at
any instant. Silly me. /lol/

I think poodle guide is an acquired taste, but I enjoy it. For now.
Watching my friends' labbie guides, I plan to spend my later, more
brittle years with one of those! Well, if I have any sense by then, that
is what I will want... /grin/

Tami