[nagdu] Stairs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Nov 23 16:03:05 UTC 2011

Hi Julie J.
Glad to hear your recovery is going well.
After I fell on the subway tracks, I was very nervous on subway platforms.
 I still am, but not so bad.
I tried to make a conscious effort to take a deep breath and relax.  If I
was really nervous, I'd work my dog and use my cane in my right hand to
check the edge.
You could try taking out a folding cane before you know there will be down
stairs, and walking at your usual pace, pushing the cane in front of you
to find the stairs.  It shouldn't bug Monte, and it could give you added
confidence.  If you're using a support cane, you could use that.  I've
found a support cane very helpful on going down stairs when I've had leg
trouble.
Good luck.  I didn't really get over my nervousness in some situations
where I'd been hurt until I got my Amba, who had enough confidence for
both of us.  I'd start getting anxious and she'd wag her tail and pull me
where we needed to go.  I could hear her firmly saying "Don't worry, I,
Amba, can handle this."
Tracy