[nagdu] how to give medicine for ear infections

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 23 23:57:11 UTC 2011

Janice,

Um... I just a few minutes ago treated the ears of an 8 week old that
didn't want to be held... Which is not the same as treating an adult
dog. /lol/ Then I treated Mitzi poodle, whose one ear was smelling a
little sweet (yeasty) before the puppy came into the house. Must be the
damp, I guess. Anyway, with both, I start with the "calming hold." That
is one arm over the dog's back, where I can grab a front leg to keep the
dog in place, or where I can lightly apply pressure with my fingers to
the back of the neck, just where the skull joins, like a mommy dog
schooling her puppies. I used this hold a lot on my wild and crazy
poodle child in high stimulus situations, keeping my hand over her heart
until it would slow down from hummingbird speed so that I could work
with her in a training way.

So the calming hold, as I call it -- it may have another name in pack
theory, which I'm not a huge fan of unless I use bits and pieces of it,.
Anyway, by gently containing the dog, one can also stroke the dog's ears
in a calming way or rub the base of the ears in a calming way. While
speaking in a calm, loving voice, etc., etc. Until the dog calms down.
By having the dog against your body, you can tell when the body relaxes
and the heartbeat slows.

Then you can gently praise and, since it sounds like Destiny is
resistant to having something in her ears, as who wouldn't be? -- stroke
the flaps of her ears, feeling them for yourself and gradually
introducing her to the nozzle you're using to put medicine in her ears,
etc.

You can tell when the medicine is in because you can smell it or feel
the damp... Also, Destiny will probably want to shake her head, so you
can hear the liquid.

It all sounds horribly involved, but it is really not. The first couple
of times I had to put medicine in Mitzi's ears for a puppy yeast
infection, I found it all very traumatic. I tried having my neighbor and
her daughter observe and assist, but they're not exactly farm girls and
ran out of the house screaming. /lol/ This motivated me and Mitzi both
to work it out our own selves. The neighbor and the daughter gradually
then became brave enough to observe the process without shrieks or
flight. /lol/ They may have been motivated by my calm description of
treating farm animal injuries when I was younger than the daughter...
They indicated strongly that they did *not* want to hear about it. Teethe.

Anyway, with the new puppy, DD did the first couple of treatments, but I
decided to do it myself this afternoon, and it all seemed to go will.
Stuff got in the ears, and I managed not to inadvertently stick the
nozzle of the liquid cleaner I'm using for that. Mitzi, of course, is
not happy with having her ears treated, but she hold still under protest
because she knows it is futile to protest. /lol/

Anyway, I don't know if that is at all helpful, but that's what I do.
Trying to hold a full grown lab (or am I misremembering Destiny's
breed?) would be a bit much for me, but the technique I use did work
with Daisy when we were getting militant with what had been long term
ear infections for her. She took too people to hold and treat, with
Mitzi giving moral support, but we were able to get the job done until
Daisy decided that it wasn't that bad and would just hold still for it.
Whew!

So working up to the actual application of the medication with Destiny
is probably your best bet, even though it is likely to be a frustrating
process at first. Based on my experience and opinion, at least. A dog's
ear canal is longer than a humans, so I probably don't need to worry
about causing real harm as much as I do. Even so, I would rather err on
the sie of caution when I'm sticking something into my dog's ear canal.
Yikes!

Good luck, and I hope Destiny feels better soon...