[nagdu] The Benefits of Membership

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 25 18:22:04 UTC 2011

Please feel free to circulate the following message as widely as you feel it is appropriate.

I recently received an email inquiry asking me about the benefits of joining the National Association of Guide Dog Users. I would like to share my response with you and encourage you to share it with as many others as you see fit!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG

    Thank you very much for your interest in the National Association of
Guide Dog Users (NAGDU), a strong and proud division of the National
Federation of the Blind. As a division of the NFB, we share its purpose of
removing the social, legal, and economic barriers faced by the blind as we
work toward the goal of fully integrating the blind into society on terms of
equality. NAGDU is a membership organization for blind people who use or are
considering a guide dog for independent travel, guide dog trainers and puppy
raisers, or those interested in guide dog related issues. NAGDU promotes
sound public policy as it pertains to guide dog use, provides guidance to
businesses and law enforcement, conducts informational workshops to  civic
organizations and schools, supports sound practices in the training and use
of guide dogs, and acts as advocates for guide dog users facing
discrimination.
    One of the major projects of the National Association of Guide Dog Users
is the NAGDU Information & Advocacy Hotline. Established with a grant from
the NFB's Imagination Fund, this hotline not only offers information about
the training and use of guide dogs and the legal rights of individuals who
use service animals, including guidance for specific industries, such as
restaurants, taxicabs, and health care facilities, it offers the option to
speak with an advocate who is trained to mediate issues that arise as the
result of the choice to use a guide dog. Future plans for the hotline
include summaries of each of the state laws concerning service animals, more
industry specific information, and guidance in a variety of languages, such
as Mandarin and Arabic. The Hotline is available anytime by calling,
toll-free, 888-NAGDU411 (888-624-3841).
    Another service of NAGDU is our email discussion list where you can
network with about 250 guide dog users and trainers, along with others
interested in guide dog related issues from across the United States and
around the world. You can subscribe to the NAGDU discussion list by going to

http://ww.nfbnet.org

clicking on "Join or drop NFBNET discussion lists", selecting "NAGDU from
the NFB-sponsored lists,and completing the subscription form.
    I know you asked about the benefits of joining the National Association
of Guide Dog Users. The fact of the matter is that all of these benefits are
not contingent upon becoming a member of our organization. They are provided
as a service to anyone who wishes to take advantage of them whether you are
a member or not. Becoming a member of NAGDU, though, demonstrates your
willingness to be a part of an incredible shift in society's view of
blindness. The National Federation of the Blind and the National Association
of Guide Dog Users is more than just an organization; it is a Movement. It
is not a static  social club, it is a dynamic network of blind people
working together to change what it means to be blind. It is the largest
organization of any disability group in the world. It is the organization
that has created the level of opportunity the blind currently realize and is
the world's leading force in the affairs of the blind  today, shaping a
future filled with hope and prosperity for the blind of tomorrow.
    The work we do will benefit you whether you are a member or not.
Becoming a member makes you a part of the collective energy and influence we
need to shape the hope of prosperity we know is ours. Gandhi once said, "You
must be the change you wish to see in the world!" I hope you will choose to
join us and be a part of this change.
    The National Association of Guide Dog Users has several state affiliate
divisions and committees on the path to becoming divisions. Membership in an
affiliate division constitutes membership in the national organization, as
well as in the affiliate itself. Likewise, Membership in the National
Association of Guide Dog Users constitutes membership in the National
Federation of the Blind. If you share with me where you reside, I can put
you in touch with the leadership of the affiliate in your state. For more
specific information about the National Association of Guide Dog Users, you
can visit our website. our website and contact information is below my
signature.