[nagdu] Bre: lind teacher's guide dog attacked by rottweilers

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 14:46:53 UTC 2011

Yup. So why do those owners suffer no punitive consequences? And why are
those consequences not publicized? Why are the news reports so passive
in the matter. It always sounds like the dog just up and did all that
bad on its own hook. Kinda like reports about how a car hit a
pedestrian... The car was just out there on its own, apparently, so
these things just happen... Um. The dog did it, or the car did it, so
that's that. I get so frustrated!

The human owner allowed the dog to do all that bad by not taking
responsibility for maintaining, socializing, training and containing it
in a responsible fashion. The human owner is to blame. The human owner
needs to pay damages and a punitive fine or award to the injured parties
and maybe do some jail tie. Maybe, depending on circumstances, be barred
from having another dog? Stuff like that. And if it's publicized that
this is what happens, others might be inspired to do a better job in
containing their own untrustworthy animals, if they can get hurt by the
results of their irresponsibility? Grrr!

The happy greeters, dogs, kids and adults, are a constant disruption for
us, although we seem to have worked out a way to cut down on that.
Still! I take a deep breath and tell myself it's training refresher for
us both. /smile/ Helps counteract the impulse to drop everything and go
for the disruptor's throat with my teeth bared. /lol/ Most people seem
to be pretty good at keeping their hands off and respecting the working
dog and explaining that to their kids and their dogs, so I love hearing
that going on around me. Makes me smile and makes Mitzi dance as she
shows off her stuff. /grin/ But there are still plenty of folks who need
to have some 'splaining done to them, once the blind woman gets their
attention so the words can maybe find a crack through the solid bone
encasing their cranial cavity... I have considered yelling to make
myself heard, maybe even throwing in some naughty words to see if that
helps get their attention... Then I remember that this is not an
effective form of communication so I keep pushing the patience and calm
but firm attempts to educate. Often, that actually works. But I'm with
Julie. I could just scream. Every now and then, when I get home and
settled back in, I take a moment out to do just that. The guys are used
to it. /lol/

Tami