[nagdu] Pit Bull attacking the area, more people become scare of dogs, not good!

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 13:34:50 UTC 2011

hi, Cheryl,
Odie was attacked by another guide dog on the last day of training at Pilot
on April 7, 2005.
It took me a lot to help rehabilitate him and help him to understand that
there are some good dogs and great owners out there.
A small story or two I can share is that Odie has helpped a few individuals
overcome the fear of dogs, especially an experience of being bitten.
I moved into Sunset Park apartments five and a half years ago.
One evening around eleven o'clock or so, a lady came over to visit a friend
and was waiting outtside.
Dale and I just finished up getting Odie outtside for another parking
session.
At first, the lady became a little nervous seeing Odie, but here comes the
best part of it all.
As we all got off the elevator on the eleventh floor, Odie calmly sat near
me and looked up at her as to say, I want you to know that I'm a nice boy
and am not a meany. If you give me a small pet on the head, I'll be your
friend for life."
The woman asked me if she could give Odie a pat on the head and I said sure
and it wasn't a problem.
Again, Odie didn't move and just remained calm while she stroked his head.
I didn't realize it at the time, but Odie than began to smell her tummy and
she informed me that a baby would be on the way soon.
Odie softly pressed his head up against her stomach, and it seemed that he
understood and felt the pain she was putting up with.
When Dale and I's friend Glen Walls came out of the elevator, her friend
said that she wasn't afraid of dogs too much anymore, especially after
meeting one who ended up being a well-trained dog.
Another encounter I experienced happened at 17th and Larimer Street here in
downtown denver, probably a long time ago.
I came across another lady who wasn't fond of dogs either, but I did
appreciate that she was willing to admit it to me.
Odie and I along with the other lady got on to the route20 bus and Odie
immediately went down underneath the chair we were going to sit on.
Before the passenger got ofoff the bus, she told me that after seeing how
well-behaved and clean Odie was, it taught her a greater appreciation of
loyalty and respect toward the magnificence of the dog: at least with seeing
Odie as a whole.
Offten sadly and way too much, all dog breeds are the victums of abuse, but
also made out to be mean and fighting dogs.
It's not really the pit bull breed, but all breeds directly.
Because there are people out there who claim that since dogs are tough, they
are ought to be mocho instead of a family member or consider them to be a
best friend.
Another trick I use when it is necessary when people do approach me is I try
to have Odie lie down on the ground and will use the word "settle" so he
knows that he has to be relaxed.
Biggest trouble I have with Odie is he loves to gravitate toward people
where as back when he was a yunger labra wolf before, he didn't want anyone
to bother him who we didn't know once he was in working mode.
As he became older, it was a rough chore to put up with and Dale and I still
deal with it more.
What Odie does with people directly is he will give them this sad puppy-eye
look and try to get them to come over and pet him, meaning individuals would
be caught in his "pet me trap" and then give in to him.
He is really good at planting guilt trips on everyone here in the apartment
complex and  bating people really well into petting him.
Most Dale or I will do is when he's in his vest is to tell residents to turn
their back on him.
They will also go a different direction.
As for the attacking dog, I'm sure he probably wound up getting shot or
else, someone immediately contacted the SPCA (Society Prevention of Cruelty
to Animals).
If anything, I'd encourage you and many others to get in contact with them
and speak with them about how this wild dog has caused many to be fearful
and the much more concern of a guide/assistance dog team becoming the next
victum.
Anne Marie Lucas and other control officers are really good and I've seen
them on Animal Cops programs many times.
Several reasons for dog attacks which are the most common ones that I can
think of:
1. NO human contact or socialization because the owner treats dog like a
piece of jewelry, leaving the dog outtside in a yard all alone.
2. Dog reverts back to its wild canine instincts and therefore, sees people
or other animals as prey.
3. Owners really care less about what their dogs do because they misbehave
themselves, so therefore, dog thinks it is all right that they can behave in
the same manner.
As for the part of fear, it will get to the point of where people will have
to put it behind them and if need be, they would be able to seek help
through counseling where they can come in contact with all types of animals
as some therapists do have animals in their offices, including dogs.
After a legually blind teacher was attacked by five rottwillers on December
6, 1988 and I myself was almost bitten by a springer spaniel on August 24,
1994, I wasn't too keen on dogs.
Only way I really got over that fear was to get a guide dog and have one.
When it came to Odie, he really showed and taught me more about the love and
friendship that a dog can give and we have both learned to respectful to one
another.
Thankfully, I'm glad that I have not completely cut Odie off from his
natural doggy instincts to defend himself if he ever should have to.
There have been times where he has almost had to defend me, but only if
defense is warranted.
Another good tip I can offer for those who have experienced an actual dog
attack or close one with their four-legged furry partner is this.
If an out of control dog approaches, immediately stop, have your dog into a
completely sit stay and stand still quietly as much as you can.
If the attacking dog still advances, them make as much noise that you can by
stomping and shouting loudly.
You can carry a can of rocks and shake it around to also scare the
uncontrolled loose dog away.
One big mistake people can make is an unknown, loose and uncontrolled dog
approaches directly and someone starts displaying any sign of fear, that can
be picked up on quickly to where dog or wild animal thinks it is game and
even if individuals start moving around, they, themselves become a game of
prey.
Lots of this I learned from watching the news and also learning more about
the behavior of a domesticated dog, wolf or even a cyote (kyote).
We've been experiencing attacks here in Colorado all over, but it's not a
domesticated dog or more that's doing the attacks.
This year, the cyoties (kyoties) have been very aggressive and they are
actually getting more bold and have made their way here in lower downtown
along the Platte River Trail.
Yes, there have been sudden incidents of people getting bit by them.
I'm sure if I ever have such encounter, Odie would fight back and shoo one
off.
Although he'd substain some injuries, I was informed the cyote (kyote) would
end up being the loser and Odie the winner.
I am happy to report that neither Odie or I have personally encountered one
yet ahd hopefully, we will not.
Truth is you never know what can happen on a daily basis and I always try to
be thankful with counting my blessings daily.
Will be keeping you and many others in prayer in the hopes that the
irresponsible dog owners will be found and the wild dog will be identified.
*Sad and terrible*
At least my big woof woof knows that he's loved and well trained upon being
taught good behavior.
*Smiles*
Bibi and Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf