[nagdu] new harness

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Oct 7 21:57:18 UTC 2011

Hello all!

I have a harness review and some questions.  As you already know I broke
my foot quite spectacularly.  Resulting from that, I haven't been able
to walk for almost three months now.  Beginning on Wednesday I can begin
to put weight on the foot, which will eventually lead to being able to
walk!  I'm excited!

I decided to cross train Monty to assist me with mobility tasks as well
as his guiding.  We have been working on brace for a while now.  He's
doing great.   Up to this point I've had him brace with no harness or a
soft vest.

The new Bridgeport mobility harness arrived today.  Here are my first
impressions.  Please be sure to note this is primarily a mobility
harness that I'm
hopefully going to be using temporarily while I recover from my foot
injury.  I'm hoping to transition back to a guide harness later.

I got the two strap 6 inch rigid handle mobility harness in brown, size
large. I haven't used a leather harness in many years.  I was surprised
at how stiff the
leather was when I first picked it up.   I bent and twisted the straps
to try to soften them, but I think it's going to take quite a bit to
really work
the leather.

Next observation was that this thing has a load of buckles.  It took me
quite a while to get them all adjusted to fit Monty.  He was not amused
with how
many times I had to put the harness on and take it off again.  Both of
the shoulder straps adjust, the martingale, the girth strap and the
second strap
that goes further back on the rib cage has adjustments on both sides.
It's a total of 6 buckles.

The front of the harness is essentially in the shape of a print letter
Y.  The center of this Y has a padded leather plate that sits against
the dog's
breastbone.  I really like this feature.  It doesn't restrict the
shoulders and keeps any pressure on the breastbone.  It's almost the
same as the front of his nylon guide dog harness.

the main body of the harness consists of two straps that go around the
dog.  This is to keep the harness stable since it's used to help you
keep your balance
or support some of your weight.  the harness cannot slip around or
shift.  the girth strap is wider, maybe 1 inch.  At the top of this
strap is where the
handle is attached.   The top of this strap is wider, maybe 2 inches.
The handle is covered in leather.  It comes straight up and is fixed in
place.  the second belly strap is a bit narrower, maybe 3/4
of an inch. These two straps are connected by leather straps at the top
and bottom of the harness.

What I don't like:
The straps are very stiff and difficult to adjust.  I think this will
correct itself with time and use.
The fake sheepskin padding is cheap.  It's already coming off.  I think
I will replace it with different padding, but I'll wait to see how it
wears.
the  belly strap is sewn into the martingale, which means that I have to
either buckle and unbuckle the shoulder straps to get the harness on or
pull a
foot through the loop of the belly strap and martingale.
The fixed handle sits right behind his shoulders.  any weight put on the
handle is going to be on his spine instead of the shoulders, which are much
stronger.   I don't think this will be a huge problem, since I am
anticipating needing balance help more than weight bearing help.   I
think if I do need
more than the occasional weight bearing assistance, I will need to look
for a different harness.  I don't think this one would be safe for long
term use.

What I like:
the front Y shape of the harness and the chest plate are a good design
feature.
The leather used is high quality.
The buckles and other hardware are also excellent quality.
The second strap helps a lot to keep the harness from twisting on the
dog without adding a lot of weight.
Customer service was courteous and helpful each time I called.
The price of the harness is extremely affordable.

I think it will work for what I need in the next few months.  I think
though if I decide I need a mobility harness long term, I will have one
custom made
with the handle over the shoulders.

My questions are about leather care.  I haven't had a leather harness
for quite a few years.  Is there something I can do to make the leather
softer?  I've been bending and twisting it.  Is that all I need to do is
just keep working it?  Also is there something I should put on it, like
some sort of oil or leather protector?  I think I have some stuff I
bought for leather boots, but I can't remember what it is and I don't
know if it's still good.

If there is anyone here that uses your guide for mobility assistance,
I'd love to hear what you've found helpful and what didn't work. So far
all I've taught Monty is brace, which means to stand still and steady
while I push or pull to get up from a chair or the floor.  Eventually I
plan to walk holding onto the rigid handle, using it primarily for
balance.  I will have him brace on curbs and steps.

I think for the next little while I'll be moving slowly enough that I
will be able to have him guide with the rigid handle.  When I can walk
at something approaching a normal pace I will either go back to his
regular guide harness or add a guide handle to the mobility harness.  If
I go with the second option, I would most likely use the guide handle
when walking, then switch to the rigid handle for curbs, steps and
uneven ground. That's the plan and plans change. *smile*  I'll just have
to wait and see how things go in the next few weeks and months.

Julie