[nagdu] canes was new member

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 15:38:39 UTC 2011

I am much older than many on this list, and I used to tink using a cane was a sign of weakness. I could get around fine inside without one. Still can. But one's abilities to problem solve are not diminished by using a cane, and not using one need not be a source of pride. I remember when I entered the Commission for the Blind in Iowa back in 1964, I was astonished that we were required to use a cane inside the building. I could not see the point. They pointed out that there could be hazzards--carts, stairs not being expected, other people--a variety of things. So I began using the cane because it was a requirement. I soon found that it was mostly preferable to holding my hands in front of me and that I could actually walk more confidently inside the building with that cane, especially in the case of an unfamiliar area. The day I tripped over one of those low, flatbed carts because I wasn't using the thing properly made me a believer. Certainly, I suppose it is fine to not use one, but I just don't think it proves anything to the school or anybody else.

Cindy