[nagdu] navigating without your cane

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sat Oct 8 19:52:00 UTC 2011

Julie P.,

You asked if walking around without your cane at guide dog school is used to
evaluate whether someone might need a dog to take more initiative. I can't
say certainly that this is done but I can't help but imagine instructors are
making these kinds of observations.

When I got my first 2 dogs at Pilot Dogs back in the mid 1980's, we had one
exercise during those days before we got our dogs in which we had to learn
various parts of the building then were sent to find them randomly.  This
was good training for the few routes we learned during class, such as to the
bus stop and back.

One student had extreme difficulty with O&M. She just couldn't understand
spatial layouts and was a route traveler, meaning she learned a specific
series of directions along a prescribed route and if anything changed, she
was in trouble because she just didn't know how to interpret it and work
around. She truly needed a dog who would do that for her without a hitch.
She ended up leaving training because she simply could not interpret where
the dog was taking her enough to direct it. We used the various exercises of
finding things in the building though to try to help her but eventually, the
instructor said it just wasn't enough.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com