[nagdu] navigating without your cane

Margo and Arrow margo.downey at verizon.net
Sat Oct 8 20:32:51 UTC 2011

Jenine, I can't speak to prior to 1981 but in 1981 we had to use canes.  If
you didn't have a dog in hand, it was requested in our class anyway to go
get the cane and use it.

seeing Eye emphasizes the keeping up of cane skills even after you get your
dog.

I personally think that using the cane at a school if you aren't working
with your dog is a good thing because it emphasizes using the cane as well.

I have used my cane all four times I've been at the eye if I didn't have a
dog.  I did not find switching from cane to dog that difficult.  Yes, my
instructor did mention some things I was doing that were carryovers from
cane usage and that they weren't necessary with a dog.

Margo and Arrow