[nagdu] navigating without your cane

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 9 01:51:08 UTC 2011

Dear All,
    I think it borders on cruelty to forbid a blind person to use a cane in
an unfamiliar setting or in a place in which the individual does not have
absolute control over the environment. This is why NAGDU's  Guide Dog
Consumers' Bill of Rights, under the section entitled "Equitable Treatment",
states, "
a.       The consumers freedom of independent travel with a white cane shall
not be restricted by the training program, unless doing so would interfere
with the training process or adversely impact other consumers."

Fraternally yours,

Marion