[nagdu] navigating without your cane

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 10:25:58 UTC 2011

I have to disagree on this one.
They are teaching students a lot yunger now than before.
When I began the process of using a cane in 1983 or so, I actually used a
ballance support cane as one and had to push it around when I attended the
Sool Development Child Care Center out here in Aurora, Colorado.
That purpose was to give me the feel of what it would be like using a real
white cane one day down the road.
I then transitioned to CSDB (Colorado School for the Deafand the Blind) at
age three and a half years old.
I actually learned how to use my first cane back when I was around five or
six years old and now, students are being taught much yunger than what I
was.
Before the students use an actual straight cane, they are given a special
designed cane made out of PBC piping where it is designed to be a push type
cane.
The push type PBC piping canes where as to some are in a shape of a letter K
or can be a rectangular design or a square design with elbow type edge
pieces.
The bottom part of the push canes have thin metal pieces so the PBC piping
doesn't get damaged.
All of that started happening in the year of 1991/1992 back when I attended
the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind.
I'm sure that method is still being taught these days and it's been proven
to be a valuable source.
I now have a support cane which I use on the days when my ostio perosis (not
sure of the spelling) is bad and I'm not able to go withoutt it.
I also do use a walker which has a chair on it and if need be when I have to
stop to take breaks, I sit down for a few minutes, get right back up and
just go, go, go again.
Yes, I will definitely use that white cane still, but now since I have
severe carple tunnel, I use my six section folding Ambutech cane with a
rolling discus tip on the bottom and roll it from side to side.
When I b4egan that whole cane tradition with the support cane, I was three
and a half and now, I'll be thirty-three this year on December 25, 2011.
Just my thoughts.
Bibi and Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf