[nagdu] Give the Dog a Break!

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Oct 12 15:46:33 UTC 2011

I would certainly let the dog rest if he's not feeling well, but otherwise
I figure he gets plenty of breaks.  There are days I do a lot, and days I
don't.  Unless I've been working him hard for a few days, he doesn't seem
to appreciate a break.  He likes to be out there, doing his stuff. And
he's not as sharp, if he hasn't worked much for a couple days.  The only
time he really needs a little time off is when he's been working almost
morning to night, as he probably will when I go away this weekend.  But
that works out, as I'll want a bit of rest afterwards, too.
I have never bought into this bit of "keeping up one's cane skills."  It's
not rocket science.  I'm a bit rusty when I first pick up the cane, but
I'm all right after about 10 seconds, maybe less.  By the time I've walked
the 50 feet from my driveway to the first street, I feel up to snuff.
Though I much prefer my dog.  He's faster, smoother, and he goes around
those darned bushes that stick out into the sidewalk, among many other
things.
Tracy