[nagdu] portable canes was my adventure without my cane

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Oct 13 14:30:59 UTC 2011

I was wondering if anyone has tried out the new NFB telescopic canes?  I
heard they are thinner and lighter weight than the old model telescopic
canes, but then someone else said they are so close to the same to make
no difference.

I was thinking of buying one.  I have only one portable cane and it is
very old.  It's probably time for a new one. I'm starting, very
tentatively, to walk again.  I haven't exactly figured out the best way
to keep my balance, have occasional weight bearing help and know what is
ahead so I don't run into things.  I think Monty can do all of that in
the beginning when I am moving at turtle pace, but beyond that I'm not
sure.  I may need to have him provide the mobility assistance and use a
cane for navigation.  Or I may need a support cane and have him guide.
I don't think I'll figure it all out until I try out different options.
*smile*

Anyway I want the thinnest, lightest white cane possible that uses a
metal tip.  Any and all suggestions are welcome!

TIA
Julie