[nagdu] Getting A Dog

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 17:31:26 UTC 2011

Hannah,

Welcome to the list! I live in Portland, Oregon, and I am working my
5-year-old owner-trained poodle guide Mitzi.

Just before I found Mitzi and decided to owner-train, I did apply to
GDB, since they are close here, too. There is one person in the
admissions department there that I noticed and that others have
mentioned does give a bad vibe... Whether it is the same person you
mention or not, I can't say, but I wanted you to know you're probably
not alone there. The best description I've heard of the manner and
behavior in question is "off putting." /smile/ I had been thinking of
owner-training at some point anyway, but it was largely that manner that
put me off enough that I decided to up and train my own darn dog the
first time and hope for the best. That's me. I happened to get a really
great pup, and she has turned into an excellent guide. Whew! /grin/

As for the notion that you need to sit home for 6 months with your guide
dog... Others have already given their opinion of that one, and I'm sure
more will. /smile/

Another west coast training program I am learning a lot about because
they have a number of grads in this area is Guide Dogs of the Desert.
They are a small school and are unable to pay transportation costs to
and from the school, but at least one person I know was able to find
assistance with that in order to get down to Palm Springs for training.
So I've become very intrigued by this, especially since they offer
poodles and a few other breeds.

Best of luck to you on your journey, and on many happy travels with a
furry guide!

Tami