[nagdu] my views on guide dog school promotion and/or bashing

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Oct 16 02:48:19 UTC 2011

Heya all!

I thought a quick post of what I, as the moderator, find acceptable and
what is not would be appropriate.

I consider it to be school bashing when there is no evidence of actual
questionable behavior or practices.  A good indicator of this is when a
sentence starts with, "I heard".  The information you get from your
hairdressers, brother's next door neighbor is simply not a reputable
source.  I call it gossip.  It's not okay for the list.

If you personally have experience with the school through attending
there, observing a team from there, talking with their representatives
or reading their website, those are credible sources of information.
It's fine to make comments based on direct personal experience.The
comments cane be positive or negative, they just need to be based on
something concrete, not rumor.

Examples:
not okay
I heard from someone whose brother's plumber went to the C.R.A.P. guide
dog program that it was just amazing!

also not okay
My best friend's cousins dog walker says that XYZ guide dog program is
really bad.

just dandy
I spoke with ABC guide dog school's admissions rep on the  phone and she
was really nice and very helpful.

also spiffy
I went to C.R.A.P. guide dog school and it was aweful.

I hope that makes some sense and clears things up a bit.  As always I'm
available to clear things up if anyone would like me to explain
further.  julielj at neb.rr.com

Thanks muchly!
Julie
NAGDU list moderator