[nagdu] dog ownership

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 18 11:48:50 UTC 2011

R.J.,
    I received a copy of the agreement the woman who was the subject of the
article I wrote signed. The agreement had a place to check whether or not
she wanted ownership and she checked that she did. The agreement also stated
that Fidelco retained the sole and absolute discretion to repossess the dog
at any time and for any reason. Though ownership should not be a subjective
consideration, it seems as if it is handled this way. I am of the opinion
that a program's unwillingness to transfer ownership to the consumer upon
the completion of training communicates a lot about what the program
believes about the capacity of the blind.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
813-626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG