[nagdu] Guide Dog Agencies-Wisconsin

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 13:22:12 UTC 2011

Thanks Steve!

Interesting stuff!  I like the concept of the dogs going from puppy
homes into a trainers home for formal training, instead of the kennel
approach.  I think it's better for the dogs and the trainers get an up
close look at just exactly how that dog is going to be out of harness.

I noticed that both programs offer visual companion dogs for kids.
There's a lot of fluff about increased confidence, independence and
security and all that, but I didn't see any description of exactly what
these dogs do.  I'm not sure what to think.

A while ago I was working with a Mom who wanted a guide dog for her 3
year old.  We had a long discussion.  She realized it wasn't such a wise
idea.

On the other hand I grew up with dogs.  I think having a dog as a kid
provided me with a lot of experiences.  I don't think any of them were
increased confidence or independence though.

Interesting though,
Julie