[nagdu] Southeastern Guide Dogs - how to become a trainer

Julie Phillipson jbrew48 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 21 20:47:34 UTC 2011

here is the article
Do you love dogs and enjoy working with people?  Do you have a passion for
helping others?  Do you enjoy working in a variety of situations, but don't
mind lots and lots of repetition?  If you answered yes to all of the above,
then becoming a certified guide dog trainer for Southeastern Guide Dogs
might be a great career choice for you.

Southeastern's Apprentice Trainer program is at least a three-year
commitment, during which time each apprentice must master a variety of
skills in order to become certified.  Currently Southeastern Guide Dogs has
eight apprentices working their way though various stages of the program.
The curriculum has been determined by Southeastern, but meets all the
requirements as laid out by the International Guide Dog Federation.  All
guide dog schools must meet these requirements, but it is up to each
individual school to determine how their apprentices will go through the
process.

The majority of the apprentices in the program began their career working in
the kennels.  There they hone their dog handling skills and have the
opportunity to interact with the trainers to see what's involved in taking a
dog through the training process.  Apprentices are selected because they
have shown that they have an aptitude for dog training along with excellent
people skills.  Both aspects are extremely important for a trainer because
once the dogs are done with their training, then the trainers become
instructors for the visually impaired handlers during their in-residence
training.

Once an apprentice has been selected, they will be matched up with a team
that includes a certified trainer who will act as a mentor.  They will then
start training the string of dogs for that team under the mentor's watchful
eye.  In order to be certified, each apprentice must log a certain number of
training hours both shadowing a trainer and being shadowed.

When the team's string of dogs is "class ready" then the apprentices begin
working with the students.  They will both shadow their mentor and be
shadowed while teaching everything from the appropriate way to put on the
harness, daily obedience sessions and actually working as a team with the
dog.

The apprentices also participate in home interviews for prospective
students, home placements (if a returning graduate needs another guide dog,
but can't be on campus for the residential training, a trainer and dog will
be sent to their home for training in their home environment) and follow-up
visits for graduates.  They will also spend time working in Graduate
Services/Admissions.  All of this gives them a well-rounded experience that
will serve them well as certified trainers.

But the training doesn't stop there.  Apprentices must also read a number of
textbooks on both dog behavior and human eye health, complete at least two
professional education courses on appropriate topics, present a program to
the entire staff, participate in immersion exercises to give them a feeling
for what the students experience in their daily life and attend a conference
hosted by either the American Council of the Blind or the National
Federation of the Blind.

Throughout their training, the apprentices are expected to submit summaries
of everything they learn to ensure all of the important concepts are
solidified in their understanding.  Only after they have successfully
completed all the tasks that have been outlined (and probably a few we didn't
cover), will the apprentice be dubbed a certified guide dog trainer for
Southeastern Guide Dogs.

About this column: Each week, Jennifer Bement of Southeastern Guide Dogs
will tell readers what's new at the Palmetto-based nonprofit, the only guide
dog school in the southeastern United States. Follow them at
facebook.com/southeastern-guide-dogs and twitter.com/dogguidetrainer Related
Topics: Blindness,
Julie Phillipson