[nagdu] conflicting feelings

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Oct 21 23:36:30 UTC 2011

R.J.

I agree with what others have said.  It's a personal decision which only
you have the correct answer.

I did want to share my thoughts a bit on family though.   I think it's
important to consider the feelings of family members if you are living
in the same house.  If you don't share a home with them, then I will
listen to their thoughts, but still decide for myself.  My parents live
a long way away and they have three dogs.  They love dogs, but three is
already a lot.  When I visit I don't take my dogs along.  Yes, I would
prefer to have my guide when I visit, but I respect my parent's wishes.
They have never told me that I couldn't bring my dogs, only that if I
did they would board theirs because five dogs in the house is too much.
I'm totally okay with that, no hard feelings.  When they visit here they
enjoy playing with my dogs and have no issue with me having a guide dog.
I respect their home and their choices and they respect my home and my
choices.

Now if my husband had an issue with me having dogs that would be an
entirely different situation.  I've always had dogs and made it clear
when we dated that dogs came with the package.  So he knew what he was
in for! *smile*  If he had been absolutely opposed to a dog, I have no
idea what I would have done.

Anyway I hope you can get it sorted out.
Julie