[nagdu] Upton's angels

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 12:41:45 UTC 2011

Upton's angels

Letter to the Editor By TBO.COM

Published: October 24, 2011

http://www2.tbo.com/news/opinion/2011/oct/24/meopino1-uptons-angels-ar-27389
9/

Imagine for a second that your everyday living was dependant on the
abilities of your pet. Well, that's kind of how life is when you use a guide
dog or service animal. The bond that grows between you and your dog can be
as strong as that of a child or your best friend.

Then imagine that that best friend, that child, that service animal is
confronted with a deadly disease. You are faced with the possible loss of
your independence and your best friend. It is truly devastating. This is
what I faced with my guide dog, Upton.

Upton wasn't just a guide dog but an educator. He would go with me to
schools and teach guide dog awareness. He was a superhero. He was the one
who carried me away from dangerous situations such as a smoke-filled charter
bus and out of the path of a rattlesnake. He was also my main hookup for my
daily supply of Diet Coke. He was able to identify the Diet Coke label. He
was also my right-hand man in helping me with the 99 foster and non-relative
placement children who have gone through my house.

Recently, Upton developed terminal cancer. He needed emergency surgery to
prolong his life and required a doctor's care every other day to check the
progress of the disease. I told the veterinarian I had only $200 and asked
if I could make out a payment plan, and she kindly agreed. The surgery and
all of the post-surgery care came to a stunning $248.

Dr. Karen Taylor-Sorensen and her staff are true angels. When we knew that
it was hopeless and that Upton would not survive, she made his passing
peaceful, gentle and quiet.

When there is a tragedy, we hope and look for angels. I believe that this
veterinarian and her staff were the angels put here in my time of need.