[nagdu] Scotland: Guide dog savaged in Bull Terrier attack

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 12:48:44 UTC 2011

Scotland: Guide dog savaged in Bull Terrier attack

by Mark Glenning

http://www.dreamdogs.co.uk/guide-dog-savaged-in-bull-terrier-attack-5874.htm

on October 24, 2011

A seeing eye dog was left covered in blood after it was attacked by another
dog in a supermarket in Leith.

The savage incident lasted more than five minutes, as staff leaped to the
defence of two-year-old Una and tried repeatedly to free her from the jaws
of a bull terrier in the Duke Street outlet of Tesco.

Elaine MacKenzie, who owns Una, recounted the terrifying incident to The
Scotsman:

"I popped in to do a bit of shopping and as I walked towards the exit I
stopped to make sure I'd put everything in my bag and all of a sudden this
dog, that was tied to the shopping baskets holder, just flew at us.

"Una made a noise that can only be described as a scream as this dog got
hold of her, trailing shopping baskets behind it.

"I tried hitting it with the lead as customers and staff came over to help
and, eventually, they did manage to get the dog off."

A shocked Una was left with bite marks across her neck and chest. Even so,
Ms MacKenzie, 58, thinks she is a lucky Labrador as the attack could have
been much worse, and spelled the end of Una's days as a guide dog - she is
still traumatised, and refuses to enter the supermarket any more.

The attacks happened as statistics of attacks on guide dogs were published
by Guide Dogs National Breeding Centre. The author of the report, Rachel
Moxon, found that the majority of incidents happened without provocation,
with the offending dogs not being on leads or otherwise under control by
their owners. Presently, three guide dogs have had to retire from duty due
to being attacked, whilst another pair are being evaluated for further duty.
Ms Moxon commented:

"The other major impact is that blind and partially sighted people are left
without a guide dog and become housebound until another suitable dog can be
matched up."