[nagdu] dental care and raw feeding

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Oct 26 17:25:58 UTC 2011

Hello All:

I am writing regarding the subject line of this message, curiously enough. I was told at TSE about the importance of brushing my dog's teeth. I am writing to "test the waters", if you will. I was wondering what products everyone uses, what health concerns of which I should be aware,, etc. For example, is there an evil ingredient the seductive pet market is trying to make me use? Is there a definite proven method that works better than others? At TSE, we were given dental wipes and instructed to use them daily. While I have determined through research that these are fine, I have also determined that actual toothbrushes are more effective. I have also found that giving dogs raw bones is supposed to be the most healthy way of teeth cleaning. Any suggestions on that front? I don't doubt that raw bones are healthy, but as far as methodology goes...it just seems as though it would complicate life (one of the reasons I have not looked further into raw feeding as well). Any opinions regarding dental care and/or raw feeding would be appreciated. For the record, I have ordered a DentaClean finger toothbrush and C.E.T vanilla mint toothpaste, as C.E.T seemed to be the most highly regarded brand. Also whilst at TSE, I was advised to get a neutral-flavored (or at least non-meat flavored) toothpaste, as the dog's trying to get at it would hinder the actual teeth brushing process. However, many online sources don't mention that aspect and actually recommend beef or poultry flavored toothpaste. So, any guidance, opinions, anecdotes, or experience regarding that would be also appreciated.
Another note about raw feeding: on my vet visit at OSU, I was discouraged from looking into raw feeding. The reasons given were that dogs are naturally omnivores and an all meat diet wouldn't necessarily be the best option. I was also assured that the name brand dog foods undergo stringent testing to ensure their quality and nutritional value. Currently, Bailey is on the food he was on at TSE, which is Eukanuba Adult Maintenance. Needless to say, any opinions, comments, facts, etc. regarding what my veterinarian said and/or the food on which Bailey is currently dieting would also be welcome.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu<mailto:Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu>
The Ohio State University