[nagdu] dental care and raw feeding

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Oct 27 14:20:44 UTC 2011

Robert,

I'm not as knowledgeable as some on this list about dog food.  Hopefully
they will chime in.

You were told correctly that dog food does have to meet certain
standards in the U.S.  The problem is that those standards are extremely
lacking.   There's loads of very scary information available about dog
food manufacturing.

I currently feed both of my dogs, Taste of the Wild High Plains
formula.  I recently switched them from Flint River Ranch.  I have no
problem with the FRR food.  I have found that my dogs do better with a
completely grain free formula.  Belle is okay as long as she doesn't get
corn, but Monty doesn't do well with any grain.  He's better with oats
or millet and I most certainly cannot give him corn or wheat.  It's
easier for me to feed both dogs the same food, so the switch to Taste of
the Wild.

About teeth cleaning...I don't do it, never have.  I realize this is not
what most/all of the guide dog schools suggest.  Another reason I owner
train, I guess.  I do provide lots of things to chew on, including
bones.  I don't give raw bones though.  I don't put any dental cleaning
stuff in their water and I don't give them dental specific chews like
greenies.  Belle is close to 8 and her teeth are still white.  Maybe
it's luck or maybe the entire dog dental product industry is a money
making scheme, I don't know.

There are some really good web sites comparing dog foods with very
specific criteria.  The scale is clearly explained so you can decide for
yourself if you agree with their ratings.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

There are several different approaches to raw feeding.  The prey model
is the all meat, organ and bone, I think you were referring to in your
post.  There is also a raw feeding method that does include other food
groups.  sorry, I know next to nothing about raw feeding.  I looked into
it at one time and tried it, but it's not for me.  It's work and I'm
lazy. *smile*

Oh, I also wanted to say that many veterinary schools get free dog food
from the various dog food companies.  when I went to school for
veterinary technology we were taught the nutrition portion of our
training using materials provided by Science Diet.  They also provided
free dog and cat food for the kennels.  So of course when you get done
with the nutrition education you are going to think their products are
the best, since the training materials were designed with their products
in mind.  So unless my vet has had additional nutrition training or has
researched it extensively themselves, I tend to rely on my own nutrition
research.  It's not a lot different than human medicine.  all too often
healthy eating is not something covered extensively in medical school.

Good luck!  I hope you find what works for you!
Julie