[nagdu] guide dogs and hand signals

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 01:58:29 UTC 2011

I don't know about any of the programs, but I use hand signals with my
dogs.  I also use my footing and body language to communicate what I
want.   In the beginning of training I use all three in a pretty obvious
manner.  As training progresses I scale back the hand signals and body
movement to very small discrete movements.  By the end of training I
expect that the dog will respond to a voice request, hand signal or body
position or any combination.  I rarely will use only body/foot position
to cue the dog though.  Sometimes I'm talking with someone as I walk or
need to carry things, but I still want to be able to communicate with my
dog.  I've never had any problems with the dog understanding what I want
based on the use of voice vs. hand signal.

Julie