[nagdu] Winter Covering For Guide Dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 14:30:12 UTC 2011

Bob,

I live in eastern Nebraska, so our winters are very similar.  I have two
dogs.  My older retired guide has heavier thicker fur, I have never put
a coat of any variety on her.  She doesn't need it.  My current guide is
a lab and Boxer mix.  His fur is very short and he only has a hint of an
undercoat.  I do put a coat on him when it gets cold.  I purchased a
coat for him from Cozyhorse.com I think that's the correct address.  It
was pricey, but it works well and has held up for two winters so far
with little wear.

Also if you like I crochet dog sweaters.  I only made a few last year,
but this year I will have many more.  I give them away to whoever wants
one.  I'd be happy to send you one. They are made to slip over the guide
harness so you don't have to take the harness off to take the sweater on
and off.  I have some heavy ones this year that are almost as heavy as a
coat.  Still they are not wind or waterproof.

Best,
Julie