[nagdu] guide dogs and hand signals

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 19:38:30 UTC 2011

That's funny. I do that, too. Sometimes, I will lean forward as if to
move my foot and make a gesture with my free hand (with a clicker in it,
naturally!) and get mad at my cane for not doing anything. when I say
sharply and insistently, "Forward!" /lol/

DD gives me guide dog commands, which I pass on to Mitzi. Or my cane, in
the rare times I'm using that because Mitzi is at the groomer. For all I
know, he's giving me hand signals. Sometimes, when Mitzi is the one who
knows how to retrace a route, I will catch myself dropping the harness
handle to give him hand gestures while I'm telling him which way to go
because Mitzi has told me which way to go. /lol/ Mitzi, BTW, does not
approve of this at all and refuses to guide but just turns me around in
circles until I agree to behave myself and follow her lead. Okay, we
don't do that all the time, but I have caught us all doing it on more
than one occasion. Fortunately, there weren't people around to watch our
private version of the traveling circus. I'm sure they would have found
it highly entertaining, though. Mitzi has demonstrated that she can find
the truck after he gets us all lost on the way back to the truck. Mostly
by ignoring my hand gestures, which I'm making by then because I can't
think of anything more useful to do. /grin/

Tami