[nagdu] Stress Issues

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Sep 7 13:29:54 UTC 2011

Lora,

This is an excellent start!   Here are some ideas to expand on the
fun/stress reducing things you do together.

You mentioned he likes to go between your legs to get scratched, can you
move around randomly to make it a more active game? Dance around, spin
in different directions, laugh, let him really know you are having a
good time.

You mentioned he likes water, in the summer I sometimes put ice cubes in
the water dish.  the dogs love this.  Weird, but they sort of act like
it's bobbing for apples or something.  It does get a bit messy, but not
too bad and its just water.  I'm not sure of your living arrangements or
facilities, but a wading pool or playing in water from a garden hose
might be fun.  If he likes swimming in the river and you're okay with
that, what about attaching him to a long line?  It's just a really long
leash made of nylon or something that is light weight and won't get
destroyed when it gets wet.

You mentioned he likes to play tug, can you combine tug with fetch to
get him moving a bit more?  Or if you have the space letting him pull
you around on a wheeled chair when playing tug is quite fun!   I don't
have any good suggestions about plush toys.  Monty will tear them up in
minutes.  If I do purchase them I just acknowledge that it will be an
afternoon of entertainment and that is it.  I also directly supervise
when I allow him to play with stuffed toys.  It keeps him safe and
lengthens the life of the toy a bit.

Oh, I did just have an idea...what about a fleece rope tug toy?  Monty
loves them!  It's like a regular rope tug toy except it's made of
fleece.  They last quite a while, a couple of months here.  It's pretty
durable, but still has the fabric feel in their mouth.

I think both of you will be much happier when you can really play and
have fun together a lot more often.  I think maybe you are both stressed
and each others stress is feeding the others.  It's a nasty cycle.
Maybe I'm wrong and it's something totally different.  This is email
after all and that does have it's limitations.

Have you thought anymore about a vet visit?  If the hair loss and/or
behavior is due to some physical issue that could very well be something
easy to manage.

Best of luck to you!
Julie