[nagdu] some advice

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 07:38:02 UTC 2011

hi, Chantel,
The best you can do for yourself is do what you feel is right.
Others have opinions that may not be agreeable and I'm sure some people have
expressed their displeasure over you wanting a guide dog.
Only thing you can do is tell those who may not agree with your decision
that whatever they feel, it's not their decision nor will it be their
choice.
I decided to become a guide dog user, not just because of the independence,
but also, it made me feel more comfortable.
Truth is that I've had to work on confidence building for myself.
I also like the feeling of flying free like an eagle when holding that
harness handle.
I also didn't expect my guides to get people to talk with me as that was my
responsibility.
I've had to read many stories where people say that once they had a guide
dog with them, then more people would start talking to them.
Definitely not my cup of tea.
Now, confession time.
Yesterday while I was out, I kept catching myself holding up my left hand,
thinking that I was holding on to Odie's leash or even a harness handle.
I had to litterally tell myself to put that left hand back down.
i'm not sure how much longer I'll be having that reoccuring, but I know it
still will.
While thinking about a guide dog, I was able to spend time with some other
guide dog users and that really helpped with being inspired to have one.
*Smiles*
Another factor is people also need to realize that not everyone is able to
have a guide dog because of allergies, an unsuitable environment and also
because some people just can't make themselves fit into that style because
they feel that leash corrections are too harsh.
I've seen plenty of that all ready many times and you probably read what I
had to witness and experience during ski camp earlier this year when I
posted it to many lists I'm on.
Quite frantly, it was embarrassing having to be around the handler as her
dog misbehaved really bad, but was out of hand.
If you have anymore questions or feel that you'd like to chat, just sent me
an email off list at:
orleans24 at comcast.net
and I'll do the best that I can to listen and answer questions.
Do keep on looking into it and I can't wait until you're flying free like an
eagle.
Bibi and Odie
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf